My personal information workflow, part 2 #

In part one I described the kinds of things I asked myself when deciding on how to manage my personal information — bookmarks, references, notes, tasks, contacts, etc. The answer is: I don't have a single consistent system that I use for everything. I use many incompatible systems depending on where I am and what my goal is.

My personal information workflow, part 1 #

Several people have asked me how I organize my projects. There are various systems out there like David Allen's Getting Things Done, Taiichi Ohno's Kanban boards (e.g. Trello), Ryder Carroll's Bullet journal, Niklas Luhmann's zettlekasten (e.g. Roam Research), Dave Seah's Emergent Task Planner, and many more.

There's a danger in spending too much time organizing my projects instead of working on my projects. Questions I asked myself:

Hex diagram labels #

A few weeks ago a reader suggested the labels on my hex diagrams for the "cube" coordinate system could be improved. I took a look at what I had:

Old labels on the pointy hex grid Old labels on the flat hex grid
Old labels are inconsistent across grid rotations

Labels: ,

What I did in 2020 #

It's time for my annual self review. This has been a weird year. It was already turning out to be a weird year for me before the pandemic hit. In last year's annual review I wrote:

What are my goals for 2020? Unfortunately, I don't have any strong goals. After working on big projects in 2018, I ended up working on small projects in 2019. I would like to work on something bigger, but I think my focus will be on learning new things rather than explaining things I already know. I'd like to work on projects that last a month or two rather than a week or two, to really dig into them and learn a topic deeper than I can do in a week. Other than that, I feel kind of aimless right now. I'm ok with that. I'm in a wander-and-explore phase of my life.

Note the I feel kind of aimless right now. I had decided not to focus on tutorials in 2020. I was going to spend more learning things, traveling, and visiting friends. Then the pandemic arrived. So I dove into learning things, but put the rest on hold.

Labels:

Pathfinding diagram improvements, part 2 #

In the last post I described improving the diagrams on my Tower Defense page. Once I finished that, I moved on to my other pathfinding pages, starting with the A* page.

inline legend
inline legend

Labels: , ,

Pathfinding diagram improvements, part 1 #

Back in April I wrote about some pathfinding diagrams I was unhappy with. Last month I wrote about reimplementing the diagramming code.

I started with the Tower Defense page. It's smaller than the A* page and I wanted to try out some ideas there before adopting them on the more popular page.

old diagram shows numbers
old diagram shows numbers

Labels: , ,

Reimplementing my pathfinding pages #

Back in 2018 I wrote about rewriting my hexagonal grid page. I had said “I'm generally not a fan of rewrites that have no end-user benefits”. I had started that rewrite because the code was making it hard to make diagram improvements that I wanted to make. As a side effect of the rewrite, I also made some performance improvements.

I've been wanting to make some diagram improvements to my A* page. While looking through the code I realized I was in the same situation as with the hex page. It was hard to make the changes I wanted to make because of the abstractions I had chosen. I decided to rewrite the most problematic abstraction, the Diagram class.

As a side effect of rewriting the Diagram class, I've improved page speed:

Before: speed score 83/100; After: speed score 97/100
Before and after page load speed

Labels: , ,

Sliders on 2d visibility article #

While investigating a report from a reader, I realized that the sliders on my 2d visibility article are a little messy. There's a fade out animation that goes from here:

Fade-out starts at this slider position

Labels:

Graph search diagrams and reusable code #

Every once in a while I revisit my pages to see how I could improve them. This is one of the reasons I prefer text to video: I can keep improving it instead of treating it as "published" and then never changing it. I have been updating some of my pages for over twenty years. I started thinking about the Introduction to A* page again when I read a page about online interactive learning and a page about the expertise reversal effect. I made a list of some things I could improve in my diagrams, but also why I had done them the way I did.

Labels: ,

Website updates #

Over the last few years I've been trying to increase the accessibility of my site. I have 25 years of web pages that I maintain so it was a lot of work to do all at once. I split it up into multiple phases:

  1. Phase one: I converted 85% of my pages to use a "responsive layout", which takes into account the reader's browser size. I converted pages that had a 600px width and were relatively easy to convert to a variable px based layout. My focus was to write responsive CSS rules that smoothly varied the layout and font size based on browser width. I wrote my notes on how to do this.
  2. Phase two: I tackled the 15% of pages that were more difficult to convert, because of their use of non-standard layout, or interactive diagrams, or iframes, or anything else that made it difficult. I wrote a blog post about this. I still used a px based layout.
  3. Phase three: I'm ready to switch from a px based layout to a rem based layout.

This is how I often make progress past "analysis paralysis": I break the problem down into smaller, simpler ones and then work on them one at a time.

Labels: