I've had my red blob logo since 1987. I doodle various facial expressions on the blobs, and also experiment with mathematical representations.

In 2011 while reading Scott McCloud’s Making Comics I saw the part about interpolating between facial expressions on page 85. I hadn't considered that facial expressions could be interpolated. I played with splines to generate mouth expressions in a simple comic style. Recently I wanted to update this project with better code and a better UI. While I was updating it, I also realized the brow-lift parameter was backwards (increasing lift would lower the brows). The smile parameter (s) was also backwards (increasing s would make it frown).

I would like to use these faces in my tutorials but haven't yet decided where.

Play with the procedural face generator

Labels:

2 comments:

NYCynik wrote at November 13, 2018 9:36 AM

How about some asymmetric eyebrow lifts :)

Amit wrote at November 13, 2018 11:15 AM

@NYCynik: yes, I think that'd be a good idea! I also want to add eye size, eyeball position, and eye open/close.