One of the most fun things about SimBlob is the water simulation. It isn't great though, and I keep looking for ways to make it better. Using the Navier-Stokes equations is the “right” way to simulate fluids, but they're complicated and expensive, so many people have come up with approximations or alternatives. Here are some resources:
- Fluid Dynamics Model (includes demo for Windows)
- Fluid Dynamics with Erosion
- Real-Time Fluid Dynamics for Games
- Reflections on Water Simulation
- Practical Animation of Liquids
None of their solutions directly works for me, since I'm using a hexagonal grid and have a dynamic landscape underneath the water.
[2005-07-11] Update: I tried some approaches based on the above, but they didn't work for me. It's quite possible that I'm missing an essential step in my simplification.